Peer reviewed publications are an important way for scientists to communicate their research findings to the scientific community and establish a public record of their research. These types of publications allow other researchers to test and challenge results and conclusions in their own labs. The conclusions that are supported after these challenges then become regarded as likely correct and advance our knowledge of the system under study, opening the door for practical applications. Publications also provide researchers with a way to connect and collaborate with other researchers around the world, enabling the sharing of knowledge and experience so vital in the scientific community.
- Choate, LA; Danko, CG. (2016). Poised for development. Nature Genetics, 48(8), 822-823.
- Staiger, EA; Tseng, CT; Miller, D; Cassano, JM; Nasir, L; Garrick, D; Brooks, SA; Antczak, DF. (2016). Host genetic influence on papillomavirus-induced tumors in the horse. International Journal of Cancer, 139(4), 784-792.
- Gibeault, RL; Conn, KL; Bildersheim, MD; Schang, LM. (2016). An Essential Viral Transcription Activator Modulates Chromatin Dynamics. PLOS Pathogens, 12(8).
- Feng, KH; Sun, M; Iketani, S; Holmes, EC; Parrish, CR. (2016). Comparing the functions of equine and canine influenza H3N8 virus PA-X proteins: Suppression of reporter gene expression and modulation of global host gene expression. Virology, 496, 138-46.
- Wang, Z; Martins, AL; Danko, CG. (2016). RTFBSDB: an integrated framework for transcription factor binding site analysis. Bioinformatics, 32(19), 3024-3026.
- Fraser, DR; Parker, JS; McGregor, DD. (2016). Vocational choices made by alumni of the Leadership Program for Veterinary Students at Cornell University. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 249(7), 759-764.
- Organtini, LJ; Lee, H; Iketani, S; Huang, K; Ashley, RE; Makhov, AM; Conway, JF; Parrish, CR; Hafenstein, S. (2016). Near-Atomic Resolution Structure of a Highly Neutralizing Fab Bound to Canine Parvovirus. Journal of Virology, 90(21), 9733-9742.
- Tait Wojno, ED; Artis, D. (2016). Emerging concepts and future challenges in innate lymphoid cell biology. The Journal of Experimental Medicine, 213(11), 2229-2248.
- Huang, L; Appleton, JA. (2016). Eosinophils in Helminth Infection: Defenders and Dupes. Trends in Parasitology, 32(10), 798-807.
- Danko, CG; Wang, Z; Rice, EJ; Chu, T; Martins, AL; Tait Wojno, ED; Lis, JT; Kraus, LW; Siepel, A. (2016). Natural Selection has Shaped Coding and Non-coding Transcription in Primate CD4+ T-cells. bioR×iv, doi: 10.1101/083212.
- Bussche, L; Rauner, G; Antonyak, M; Syracuse, B; McDowell, M; Brown, AM; Cerione, RA; Van de Walle, GR. (2016). Microvesicle-mediated Wnt/β-Catenin Signaling Promotes Interspecies Mammary Stem/Progenitor Cell Growth. The Journal of Biological Chemistry, 291(47), 24390-24405.
- Brosnahan, MM; Silvela, EJ; Crumb, J; Miller, DC; Erb, HN; Antczak, DF. (2016). Ectopic Trophoblast Allografts in the Horse Resist Destruction by Secondary Immune Responses. Biology of Reproduction, 95(6), 135.
- Zhang, X; Liu, X; Zhang, M; Li, T; Muth, A; Thompson, PR; Coonrod, SA; Zhang, X. (2016). Peptidylarginine deiminase 1-catalyzed histone citrullination is essential for early embryo development. Scientific Reports, 6, 38727.
- Wasik, BR; Barnard, KN; Parrish, CR. (2016). Effects of Sialic Acid Modifications on Virus Binding and Infection. Trends in Microbiology, 24(12), 991-1001.
- Mukai, C; Gao, L; Nelson, JL; Lata, JP; Cohen, R; Wu, L; Hinchman, MM; Bergkvist, M; Sherwood, RW; Zhang, S; Travis, AJ. (2017). Biomimicry Promotes the Efficiency of a 10-Step Sequential Enzymatic Reaction on Nanoparticles, Converting Glucose to Lactate. Angewandte Chemie, International Edition, 56(1), 235-38.
- Callaway, HM; Feng, KH; Lee, DW; Allison, AB; Pinard, M; McKenna, R; Agbandje-McKenna, M; Hafenstein, S; Parrish, CR. (2017). Parvovirus Capsid Structures Required for Infection: Mutations Controlling Receptor Recognition and Protease Cleavages. Journal of Virology, 91(2).
- Franz, M; Goodman, LB; Van de Walle, GR; Osterrieder, N; Greenwood, AD. (2017). A Point Mutation in a Herpesvirus Co-Determines Neuropathogenicity and Viral Shedding. Viruses, 9(1).
- Nogales, A; Huang, K; Chauché, C; DeDiego, ML; Murcia, PR; Parrish, CR; Martínez-Sobrido, L. (2017). Canine influenza viruses with modified NS1 proteins for the development of live-attenuated vaccines. Virology, 500, 1-10.
- Khedri, Z; Xiao, A; Yu, H; Landig, CS; Li, W; Diaz, S; Wasik, BR; Parrish, CR; Wang, LP; Varki, A; Chen, X. (2017). A Chemical Biology Solution to Problems with Studying Biologically Important but Unstable 9-O-Acetyl Sialic Acids. ACS Chemical Biology, 12(1), 214-224.
- Nogales, A; Rodriguez, L; Chauché, C; Huang, K; Reilly, EC; Topham, DJ; Murcia, PR; Parrish, CR; Martínez-Sobrido, L. (2017). Temperature-Sensitive Live-Attenuated Canine Influenza Virus H3N8 Vaccine. Journal of Virology, 91(4).
- Blumberg, A; Rice, EJ; Kundaje, A; Danko, CG; Mishmar, D. (2017). Initiation of mtDNA transcription is followed by pausing, and diverges across human cell types and during evolution. Genome Research, 27(3), 262-373.
- Liu, X; Morency, E; Li, T; Qin, H; Zhang, X; Zhang, X; Coonrod, S. (2017). Role for PADI6 in securing the mRNA-MSY2 complex to the oocyte cytoplasmic lattices. Cell Cycle, 16(4), 360-366.
- Miller, D; Tallmadge, RL; Binns, M; Zhu, B; Mohamoud, YA; Ahmed, A; Brooks, SA; Antczak, DF. (2017). Polymorphism at expressed DQ and DR loci in five common equine MHC haplotypes. Immunogenetics, 69(3), 145-156.
- Holl, H; Isaza, R; Mohamoud, Y; Ahmed, A; Almathen, F; Youcef, C; Gaouar, S; Antczak, DF; Brooks, S. (2017). A Frameshift Mutation in KIT is Associated with White Spotting in the Arabian Camel. Genes (Basel), 8(3).
- Pennington, MR; Van de Walle, GR. (2017). Electric Cell-Substrate Impedance Sensing To Monitor Viral Growth and Study Cellular Responses to Infection with Alphaherpesviruses in Real Time. mSphere, 2(2).
- Rodriguez, L; Nogales, A; Reilly, EC; Topham, DJ; Murcia, PR; Parrish, CR; Martínez-Sobrido, L. (2017). A live-attenuated influenza vaccine for H3N2 canine influenza virus. Virology, 504, 96-106.
- Harman, RM; Bihun, IV; Van de Walle, GR. (2017). Secreted factors from equine mesenchymal stromal cells diminish the effects of TGF-β1 on equine dermal fibroblasts and alter the phenotype of dermal fibroblasts isolated from cutaneous fibroproliferative wounds. Wound Repair and Regeneration, 25(2), 234-47.
- Kannan, AK; Mohinta, S; Huang, W; Huang, L; Koylass, N; Appleton, JA; August, A. (2017). T-Bet independent development of IFN gamma secreting natural T helper 1 cell population in the absence of Itk. Scientific Reports, 7, 45935.
- Cardona, C; Neri, QV; Simpson, AJ; Moody, MA; Ostermeier, GC; Seaman, EK; Paniza, T; Rosenwaks, Z; Palermo, GD; Travis, AJ. (2017). Localization patterns of the ganglioside GM1 in human sperm are indicative of male fertility and independent of traditional semen measures. Molecular Reproduction Development, 84(5), 423-435.
- Dumas, SE; Lungu, L; Mulambya, N; Daka, W; Lewis, D; Travis, AJ. (2017). Effect of sustainable poultry interventions on household food security and resilience in game management areas of Zambia’s Luangwa Valley: a before-and-after study. Lancet Global Health, 5(1), S24.
- Bergmann, T; Lindvall, M; Moore, E; Moore, E; Sidney, J; Miller, D; Tallmadge, RL; Myers, PT; Malaker, SA; Shabanowitz, J; Osterrieder, N; Peters, B; Hunt, DF; Antczak DF; Sette, A. (2017). Peptide-binding motifs of two common equine class I MHC molecules in Thoroughbred horses. Immunogenetics, 69(5), 351-358.
- Moody, MA; Cardona, C; Simpson, AJ; Smith, TT; Travis, AJ; Ostermeier, GC. (2017). Validation of a laboratory-developed test of human sperm capacitation. Molecular Reproduction and Development, 84(5), 408-422.
- Plowright, RK; Parrish, CR; McCallum, H; Hudson, PJ; Ko, AI; Graham, AL; Lloyd-Smith, JO. (2017). Pathways to zoonotic spillover. Nature Reviews Microbiology, 15(8), 502-510.
- Horibata, S; Rogers, KE; Sadegh, D; Anguish, LJ; McElwee, JL; Shah, P; Thompson, PR; Coonrod, SA. (2017). Role of peptidylarginine deiminase 2 (PAD2) in mammary carcinoma cell migration. BMC Cancer, 17(1), 378.
- Schang, LM; (2017). ISAR News, 26(4), Guest Editor.
- Webb, LM; Tait Wojno, ED. (2017). The role of rare innate immune cells in Type 2 immune activation against parasitic helminths. Parasitology, 6, 1-14.
- Huang, M; Hayward, JJ; Corey, E; Garrison, SJ; Wagner, GR; Krotscheck, U; Hayashi, K; Schweitzer, PA; Lust, G; Boyko, AR; Todhunter, RJ. (2017). A novel iterative mixed model to remap three complex orthopedic traits in dogs. PLOS One, 12(6).
- Nelson, RM; Temnykh, SV; Johnson, JL; Kharlamova, AV; Vladimirova, AV; Gulevich, RG; Shepeleva, DV; Oskina, IN; Acland, GM; Ronnegard, L; Trut, LN; Carlborg, O; Kukekova, AV. (2017). Genetics of Interactive Behavior in Silver Foxes (Vulpes vulpes). Behavior Genetics, 47(1), 88-101.
Once a discovery has been converted into a product, intellectual protection must be secured in order to raise the funding required to develop the product into a clinically useful good. Patents are most often the best suited protection for biomedical products; however, earning a patent is an arduous, time consuming, and expensive endeavor, which typically takes years to complete.
We are excited that two patents were awarded this year to products that resulted from discoveries made by members of the Institute.
- Schang, LM; StVincent, MRS. and Ustinov, A. (2017). Compounds for preventing or treating viral infections and methods of use thereof; Series of Patent applications.
• Canadian patent No. 2,679,257, issued on April 4, 2017.
- Travis, AJ; Cohen, R. Immobilized protein system for rapid and enhanced multiplexed diagnostics.
• US patent No. 9,547,014, issued on January 17, 2017.
Bold denotes Tenured Track Faculty
Underlined denotes Other Institute Member